Buzzards Bay in May – Mitch Buck

As I was leaving West Falmouth Harbor I could hear my fathers words in the back of my head “Mitchell, what the heck are you doing out in this weather!” and I smirked a bit. It was 5 am and lightning was making itself known on the far shore of Buzzards Bay, but it was close enough to make me cautious. My two friends, John and Justin, were concerned as well, but we decided to push ahead and find the cure for our cabin fever. I had heard that the surface action was good the previous Saturday in upper buzzards bay, however, when I had made my way to that area the next day, Sunday, I was too late. This storm had been forecast and I knew it would be a double edged sword. I have had some of my best fishing just before storms push through, however, there is a danger associated with the lightning, rain and winds. But there were schools of migrating bass in the area and I thought that I had good chance of finding actively feeding fish. This proposition had me very excited the night before as even my girlfriend could attest to and roll her eyes.

As we headed north there was a break in the clouds heading back to West Falmouth, which was our escape route. The lightning was focused on the South Shore. We arrived on location to find a few birds and quickly put a schoolie and bluefish on deck, however, in that time the storm had flanked us. The two boats in the area had already high tailed it out of there. We could see the rain coming across the surface of water towards us with lightning on its heels. We decided to head towards the canal to seek safety. Instead of rain, the heavens decided to unleash a round of hail on us! My father words echoing in the back of my head as hail stung my face. Buzzards Bay in May!

As we headed north a little ways the hail abated some and I noticed several gulls on the surface. I immediately stopped the boat to investigate. Then we saw several splashes underneath them. We started casting topwater and I hooked up immediately. The first fish was a keeper. Little did we know what would happen next. The surface began to erupt all around us in an all out blitz of stripers! We started bailing stripers in the 26″ to 34″ class all on topwaters. It did not seem to matter what we threw as they were hungry. There were many double and triple headers. At times the surface looked liked a washing machine. The best part of all was there were no other boats around!

I fished hard knowing that this activity could die at any minute but the activity ended up lasting for several hours. Later in the day the bruiser bluefish showed up and we landed several to 30″. The action was so good we started trying different lures to see what we could catch them on. John remarked as he tied on a plug that had previously shown him no love “if this lure can’t catch here, its going in the trash”. Today that lure still remains in his tackle box. We had the fish all to ourselves for almost 2 hours before we saw another boat, and by the end of the day there were only a handful of boats on the water and plenty of fish for all.

It was a tremendous day on the water, like nothing that I had ever seen before. Some days you play your cards high and reap the rewards. After telling my father about the day on the water including the fishing and the storm, his response was “So what were you doing out in that weather?”.

No Comments

Post A Comment
Follow by Email