03 Dec Saltwater Fly Tying Programs
Saltwater Edge Fly Tying Programs
One of the best ways to enjoy the off season is to learn to tie saltwater flies. There are a number of reasons to develop your tying skills. Saltwater flies aren’t cheap, selections can be limited or off color to your local needs and lastly the satisfaction that comes from catching a fish on a fly you tied. We have three programs at the shop to help you fill your fly box.
Saltwater Edge Fly Tying Program includes Introduction, Intermediate and Advanced Classes and are based on a three week curriculum. Each course builds on the prior one and is limited to a minimum of 3 and a maximum of six students. Class tuition is $70.00 paid in advance with all materials are provided. Participants also receive a 15% discount on fly tying materials purchased during the class.
1) Introduction to Saltwater Fly Tying with Steve Cook – Steve is a professional fly tier as well as a saltwater shore guide. His beginners seminar covers tools and materials and then a series of patterns that will form the building blocks for more many flies. Steve’s class is highly recommended for anyone who wants to produce quality flies and a prerequisite for advanced saltwater tying. Patterns include: Rays Fly, Lefty’s Deceiver, Clouser Minnows and White Water Witch.
2) Intermediate Saltwater Fly Tying with Steve Cook – In this class Steve builds on the foundation created in the Introduction class. More complex patterns with and tying techniques are covered. February 9, 16, and 23. This class is $75.
3) Advanced Saltwater Fly Tying with Steve Cook – After this class you will be capable of tying most any saltwater fly from bonefish to bluefin. March 8, 15 and 22. This class is $75.
4) Guide Flies with Guest Tiers – These are topic focused seminars taught by experts. Topics we cover include Striper Flies, Albie Flies, Critter Flies (crabs, shrimp and worms) and Bonefish Flies. In addition, to covering the patterns these more focused classes will include a discussion of tackle and tactics as well. Cost TBD
5) Saltwater Edge Fly Tying Nights – Every other Thursday night (generally first and third) starting at 530 pm. These are not teaching sessions so much as a chance to tie with friends you haven’t met yet. We often have a topic; but just as often we go with the flow.